Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dostoevsky on Beauty and Happiness

"The horror of it is that beauty is not only a terrifying thing - it
is also a mysterious one. In it the Devil struggles with God, and the
field of battle is the hearts of men."

- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov, Part I, Book III: Voluptuaries, Chapter 3: The Confessions of an Ardent Heart. In Verse

"If I seem so happy to you, you could never say anything that would please me so much. For men are made for happiness, and anyone who is completely happy has a right to say to himself, 'I am doing God's will on earth.' All the righteous, all the saints, all the holy martyrs were happy."

- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov, Part I,
Book II: An Unfortunate Gathering, Chapter 4: A Lady of Little Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment